Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The surgeon was able to drain the abscess by needle instead of a craniatomy. Joe has now a second but much larger incision.

I have talked with Dr Olson, Dr Volschin and the Infectious Disease physician team and concluded that the MRI findings from Monday are going to be influenced by 3 things: the tumor, the radiation treatment and the abscess. Any one or a combination of these 3 things could be causing the swelling that would cause the symptoms/side effects that Joe has been experiencing. The MRI showed extensive swelling. So having said that they are not giving us a prognosis based on that MRI alone. Joe will have another MRI in the near future. It has not been scheduled yet. Dr Olson had said yesterday that it appeared to be advancing. I have not seen Dr Crocker (radiation oncologist) yet but have been told he will be by today to see us. He should be able to tell me more on whether the radiation treatment did any good or not. The doctors are focused more on identifying the type of infection and what antibiotic to administer to clear up the infection. They are running tests {cultures} to ID the infection which will take 24 to 48 hrs before we will know what it is.

Joe is down in radiology now having a PICC line placed in his arm that will allow the antibiotic to be administered. He is also having a "filter" placed through his groin to filter any blood clots from going to his lungs.

Joe is very tired and weak. He is still experiencing extreme right sided motor weakness and confusion. He is taking alot of drugs and is sleeping alot. Our family does not feel it would be beneficial to Joe to have visitors at this time.

I am hanging in there but tired. Our family has been a big support and comfort to Joe and I. There will be things I will need help with once we return home. I know that alot of you are wishing you could do something and that will be the time to offer. I will not hesitate accepting your help because I will not be able to do all on my own.

Please keep praying for Joe! He keeps telling me to ask this of you.

5 comments:

  1. Pearl and Papa Joe,

    Thank you for keeping us informed. There is not a day goes by that prayers and thoughts are not being said and heard. I feel for each of you and ask God to have Mercy on you. I ask in HIS name to continue giving you strength and courage to see you through this. I ask in his Name that he rid Papa Joe of any hurt and that he make his body whole again. I ask for a MIRACLE. Above all, I ask that he not give us any more than we can handle. Dear Lord, please continue to give the Dr.s and staff guidance and direction in their treatment plan for Papa Joe. Rid his body of the tumor and poisons that take over. It is in your name, FATHER, that we ask these things. Amen

    In our hearts . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol and PaPa Joe-we are all praying hard and thinking of you both and your family. We completely understand and respect the no visitors. Thank you for letting us know what's going on. Please tell him we love him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying everyday for all of you for strength, comfort and healing. And asking all of my friends and family to do the same. You are not alone. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott and I are both praying for you and Joe!! Thank you so much for the update...

    ReplyDelete