Saturday, June 12, 2010

Joe has slept/dreamed most of the day. He opens his eyes at times and will mumble. Sometimes we can make out what he is trying to say.

He is experiencing a regularly, irregular respiratory pattern called Cheyne-Stokes. He takes several breaths, then stops, then takes several more breaths, then stops again, and so on.

Joe's circulation is progressively shutting down. His hands and feet are cool and discolored now.

He has stopped eating and taking in fluids entirely. We are swabbing the inside of his mouth with glycerin swabs to keep it moist.

At times he is restless and then within seconds he is calm. You will catch him frowning one moment and smiling the next.

As I have read the materials we were given upon arrival to hospice, it has helped me to better understand the process the body goes through physically, emotionally & spiritually to "let go". It has helped calm me for the transition that Joe is preparing for.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I had words to say to you and your family at this time. I just have to believe that his frowns are when he thinks of leaving you, and his smiles are when he sees Jesus' face. I know he told me several weeks ago that he had seen "the light" - I believe he is seeing that light more clearly now. I love you all - Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol...Joe..I have no words other than we love you and hope that god and his angels comfort you all...
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be. So he put his arms around you and whispered "come to me". With tearful eyes I watched you, and saw you pass away. Although I loved you dearly, I could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest. God broke my heart to prove to me, HE ONLY....TAKES....THE BEST...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't know what to say...we will never say goodbye. Just that we will see PaPa Joe again one day. We love you both Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have to keep with the xxoo...for you all...Joe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good night Carol and Joe. God has undoubtedly wrapped both of you in His love and mercy. You are both showing us what strength and faith is all about. You remain in the front of my mind, and in my heart. God bless you both....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awake and thinking of you PJ. May GOD continue to guide and comfort you during this final road trip.
    Praying for strength and peace for Carol and the rest of your loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We will always be there for you, in whatever way we can, and we will all be together in the end, with a smiling happy PJ,

    Shalom Papa Joe, from your UK Brother

    ReplyDelete